Relayed from South Leith Church
Order of Service
Psalm No. 145 vv. 1-7
(Tune, Duke Street)
Hymn, 0 worship the King (Rv. C.H.
Paraphrase No. 63 (Tune, Newington)
Address by the Rev. DONALD DAVIDSON ,
B.D., B.Litt., Ph.D.
Hymn, 0 for a closer walk with God
(Rv. C.H. 457) (Tune, Stracathro)
Organist, W. GILCHRIST COCHRANE
It is generally supposed that the Parish Church of South Leith was built about the year 1483 and called St. Mary's. Originally it formed a subordinate chapel to Restalrig, which continued to be the church of the parish until 1609. The first Protestant minister of St. Mary's was the well-known David Lindsay , whose monogram is displayed on the screen of the organ gallery. He was an intimate friend of John Knox and a favourite of James VI and his name occurs as moderator of six General Assemblies. The church was restored and altered at great cost in 1848. There are few churches that possess such a pleasing and impressive interior as South Leith, which never fails to inspire the devotional sense among its worshippers.
There are more than 5 million programme listings in Genome. This is a
historical record of the planned output and the BBC services of any
given time. It should be viewed in this context and with the
understanding that it reflects the attitudes and standards of its time
- not those of today.
Genome is a digitised version of the Radio Times from 1923 to 2009 and
is made available for internal research purposes only. You will need to
obtain the relevant third party permissions for any use, including use in
programmes, online etc.
This internal version of Genome, which includes all the magazine covers,
images and articles as well as the programme listings from the Radio
Times, is different to the version of BBC Genome that is available
externally/to the public. It is only available inside the BBC network.