Relayed from Dunblane Cathedral
Order of Service
Psalm 95, vv. 1-6 (Tune ' Irish Sentences and Prayer
Hymn, Thy hand, 0 God, has guided
(C.H. Rev., 215)
Scriptur Lesson : St. Luke xi, vv.
Prayers of Intercession
Paraphrase No. 18 (Tune, Glasgow)
Address by the Rev. J. HUTCHISON
Hymn, Lord, dismiss us with Thy blessing (C.H. Rev., 299)
Organist, J. FLEMING LAMB
DUNBLANE CATHEDRAL, which Stands SO beautifully on the high bank of the Allan Water , was built in the second quarter of the thirteenth century, but it is by no means the earliest or the only church that has occupied the site. This building was the climax of a long and chequered history of religious endeavour that began about 700 years earlier. The high-born and learned St. Blane worked in the neighbourhood towards the end of the sixth century. The nave is the most beautiful part of the cathedral. It measures 129 feet in length and 51 feet in width. The height and grace and dignity of its pillars and the variety of its design not only evoked the high praise of John Ruskin but make Dunblane Cathedral not surpassed in beauty by any cathedral in Scotland.
The Rev. J. Hutchison Cockburn ,
D.D., who gives the address, has been minister of Dunblane since 1918. Dr. Cockburn, who serves on several of the Church Committees, was Clerk to the Union Committee of the Church of Scotland for four years prior to 1929. During his ministry many notable additions have been made to the equipment and furnishing of the cathedral and he is an authority on its history.
Rev. J. Hutchison
An appeal on behalf of THE NATIONAL VIGILANCE ASSOCIATION OF SCOTLAND by the Rev. E. J. HAGAN , O.B.E.
Contributions will be gratefully received by [address removed]
Rev. E. J.
Miss N. A. J.