by H.R.H. THE DUKE OF
GLOUCESTER, K.G. including
His Royal Highness's speech from
Brisbane, and Loyal Greetings spoken by The Rt. Hon. STANLEY BRUCE, C.H.,
M.C., at the Launching Platform
A Running Commentary on the proceedings by Commander D. A.
Relayed from Vickers-Armstrong Ltd., Naval Construction Works,
Leader, FRANK THOMAS
ELSIE DAVIES (soprano)
From 11.45 to 12.15 Belfast will radiate a programme of its own. Details on page 785.
by ERNEST W. MAYNARD
Relayed from Bath Abbey
Albert Sammons (violin) and Lionel Tertis (viola): Passacaglia (Handel, arr. Halvorsen)
Szigeti (violin): Bourse in B minor
The Italian Trio (Alberto Poltronieri , violin; Arturo Bonucci , violoncello; Alfredo Casella , pianoforte) : Trio from The Musical Offering (Bach, arr. Casella)
Conducted by Charles Shadwell
Relayed from The Hippodrome Theatre, Coventry
The Coventry Hippodrome
From 2.30 to 2.55 Scottish Regional will radiate a programme of its own.
Details on page 785.
Directed by Guy DAINES
Pianoforte Music by Ravel Franz Josef Hirt: Sonatine
Madeleine de Valmalete: Le Tom-beau de Couperin (Couperin's Tomb)-Prelude, Fugue, Rigaudon, Menuet, Forlane, Toccata
(Leader, Alfred Cave)
Conducted by H. FOSTER CLARK
' Java Ho ! ' No. 3-The Nieuw Hoorn , an adventure serial story by Johan Fabricius , read by HOWARD MARSHALL
Selected Gramophone Records
5.40 Here and There', a summary of the Week's News by Commander
including Weather Forecast and Bulletin for Farmers
Directed by Henry Hall
with his BAND in An Entertainment Hour
Fourth Series 1934-5
To be given before an audience in The
Concert Hall, Broadcasting House
CONCHITA SUPERVIA (soprano)
THELMA REISS (violoncello)
JOHN IRELAND (pianoforte)
I. Como ]a rosa en la giierta (Like the rosebud in the garden): As a rosebud in a closed garden, that has not the strength to bloom, so is a girl at the approach of death. Sadly the hour passes on that day until, like a queen she lay in majesty and grace upon her deathbed.
2. Tres hijas tiene el buen rey (The good King has three daughters) : This is a strange legend of a good King with three daughters, one of whom narrowly escapes the fate of Beatrice Cenci , but without meeting with as much sympathy as Shelley's heroine.
3. Ah el novio no quere dinero (Ah, my sweetheart seeks not money) : The bridegroom does not seek money. It is the lovely daughter he desires. He does not seek gold or jewels.
4. Yo tomi una muchacha (He took a sweetheart): I chose a girl, a charming girl the daughter of a great lord. I thought that with her the world was mine. But we have spent all that her father gave her, and now for my sins I thread beads. My wife threads them one by one, I two by two. In the centre of the necklace I have put the anguish of my heart and I will send it to her father so that he may take pity on us.
5. Dicho me avian dicho (They have told me): They have told me that my love is in Venice, very prosperous, seated in state upon a golden chair. Mother, let me go to him. I want to marry my love. I want to be a married woman. God keep him alive, and do not let me die !
6. Ansi dize la nuestra novia (My beloved said so) : Thus says our bride : ' Is this called a head ? No, that is not a head. It is an orange from our orchards. Ah! our fields and our orange trees ! Long live the bride and bridegroom '. Thus says our bride : 'Is this called hair?' 'No, that is silken thread for embroidery. Ah! Silks for embroidery '.
7. Estavase la mora en su bel estar
(There was the Moorish girl in all her beauty) : This is a song of the familiar ' House that Jack built' type commencing with a Moorish woman whose rest was disturbed by a fly. ' Poor Woman I' The fly was tormented by a wasp, the wasp by a spider, the spider by a rat, the rat by a cat, and the cat by a dog. (These notes are by Edwin Evans )
(The part of the concert not to be broadcast consists of a group of Italian songs and Violoncello Sonata in A, by Weber, arr. Piatigorsky) Tickets may be obtained from [address removed] Telephone : Welbeck [number removed], and the usual agents. Prices 2S. to 10s. (including Entertainment Tax)
Yo Tomi Una
Weather Forecast and News
Relayed from The May Fair Hotel