air a craobh-sgaoileadh bho
Eaglais Ard Oil-Thigh Obair
(Gaelic Service, relayed from the University Chapel, Aberdeen)
Seirbhis Salm CXXI , 1-5 (air fonn ' French ') Umuigh, Aslachadh
Leughadh bho'n t-Sean Tiomnadh.
Isaiah xl, 1-11 (Calum Bochannan )
Salm xxxvi, 7-9 (air fonn ' Evan ')
Leughadh bho'n Tiomnadh Nuadh ,
An Soisgeul a reir Eoin x, 7-16 agus 26-29 (Raonull Mac Dhonnachaidh)
Urnuigh. Eadar-Ghuidhe agus Urnuigh an Tighearna
Salm xliii, 3-5 (air fonn ' Torwood')
An Searmon. An t-Urr.
Salm xxiii, 1-3 (air fonn ' 'Kilmarnock') Am Beannachadh
Fear togail-fuinn lain B. Mac an Rothaich Ie cuideachadh bho Choisir-Chiuil meur a' Chomuinn Ghaidhealaich agus bho Choisir-Chiuil Comunn Ceilteach an Ard Oil-Thigh
William Elphinstone , who became Bishop of Aberdeen in 1484, was the first to conceive the idea of building a college in Aberdeen to be devoted entirely to education. He discussed this important subject with King James IV who took up the proposal with great good will and applied to His Holiness Pope Alexander VI for the necessary permission. A Bill was granted in 1494 and building began about 1500. The college was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin and at first called the College of St. Mary of the Nativity, later to be called King's College, no doubt on account of its association with King James IV.
The only part of the original work which has survived is the Chapel on the north side of the Quadrangle, from which this afternoon's Gaelic service is being relayed and in which Bishop Elphinstone is buried. The Chapel is notable for its exquisite carving which, according to one authority, has no equal anywhere in Scotland and few rivals in England.